In a sharply worded statement, veteran football administrator Luxon Kazabu has expressed disappointment over the judge’s decision to grant an injunction halting last weekend’s Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) Annual General Meeting (AGM). Kazabu, a former FAZ General Secretary and National Sports Council of Zambia (NSCZ) member, criticized the court’s ruling, warning that it could have severe consequences for the future of Zambian football.
Kazabu, a long-time observer of the sport’s landscape in Zambia, argued that the judge’s action harmed the public interest and lacked compelling justification. “I am… disappointed by the action of the judge who granted the injunction when there were no compelling grounds contained in the affidavit by the plaintiff,” he stated in a press release issued yesterday. “Surely, the matter before the judge was that of private interest vs public interest. Clearly, public interest has an upper hand.”
The controversial decision to grant the injunction led to the cancellation of the FAZ AGM on March 29, 2025, in Livingstone, just as delegates from across Zambia and international observers from FIFA had already gathered. According to Kazabu, this action was driven by “mischievous” and “selfish” motives, which disregarded the potential damage to Zambian football and its future. The FAZ AGM was a crucial event where a new executive committee was set to be elected, and Kazabu pointed out the substantial costs incurred for a meeting that ultimately did not take place.
The veteran administrator also raised concerns about the ongoing power struggle within FAZ, particularly regarding the presidency. “There are levels of hate not seen before in Zambian football,” he lamented, noting that the infighting was putting the entire structure of the game at risk. He argued that the country must resolve its leadership issues through a process recognized by FIFA, warning that the continuing instability could lead to sanctions from the global governing body.
Kazabu was especially critical of the statements made by the NSCZ, which had declared that it would not recognize Andrew Kamanga, the incumbent FAZ president, beyond February 28, 2025, despite FIFA’s decision to allow Kamanga to continue in his role until after the elections. He also condemned the NSCZ’s push for an interim committee to manage the electoral process, which directly conflicted with FIFA’s instructions that Kamanga’s team oversee the elections, with international observers present to ensure fairness.
“It is simple,” Kazabu said, “if any country does not want to abide by FIFA statutes, rules, and regulations, such a country can stay away from the world football body.” He emphasized that FIFA cannot be influenced by outside forces, no matter how powerful, and that Zambia must adhere to international standards to avoid jeopardizing its place in the global football community.
The administrator also expressed his frustration with the calls for Kamanga to step down from his candidacy. Kazabu stated that the only way to resolve the leadership issue was through a free and fair election. He believed that if Kamanga lost the vote, he would accept the result gracefully, as he had done in the past. “Use the ballot box and if you can convince the electorate to walk with you, I am sure Andrew and his team will bow out gracefully and move on,” Kazabu said.
In closing, Kazabu urged the Ministry of Sport, the NSCZ, and FAZ to ensure that Zambian football is managed in a way that avoids unnecessary risks and potential sanctions from FIFA. He stressed the importance of keeping football free from political interference and ensuring that decisions are made in the best interests of the sport, rather than driven by personal or political agendas.
“What happened at the AGM on Saturday, 29th March 2025, must not be allowed to recur,” he concluded. “It has serious consequences, and as I write, I don’t know what sanctions could be underway from FIFA.” Kazabu’s call for unity and respect for international football regulations echoes a growing concern among football stakeholders in Zambia about the future of the game in the country.